Old 18-10-2007, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Fig bounty!

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:57:02 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 17/10/07 23:22, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:12:40 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Ray has just brought in a 3l. plant pot half filled with ripe figs. The
other half has gone to one of the family!

Lucky you!
I have over a dozen figs still on my plant, all only about walnut
size, hard and green. Is there anything I can do with them? Do they
stand a chance of ripening now? Will they ripen indoors if picked?
Otherwise, I shall just have to sacrifice them and hope for more
sunshine next summer.

Pam in Bristol

I wouldn't be hopeful, Pam. I think they sound too tiny to ripen. I think
we must hope for more sun next year. And Ray tells me that I was wrong
about which fig tree we have these fruits from. The ones he picked *are*
Brown Turkey and the one in our courtyard is Brunswick. Brown Turkey is 'up
the field' and has a lot of sunshine, while Brunswick gets the warmth of the
courtyard wall and paving but is in shade some of the day.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know what variety mine is, but it has
produced well in its second year, with a fruit at every leaf joint
now, though sadly it looks as if they will be wasted now. I've had
about 6. (and a half, after slugs or snails had had the other half!)

Pam in Bristol