Old 19-10-2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Grass clipings, etc.

I do the same, and even collect grass/leave clippings from my neighbors.
However,
I put them into a mulch pile for one year. Putting the leaves/grass directly on
the
beds could be messy and there may be some issues of the mix pulling nitrogen
from
the ground as it decomposes.

Sherwin

MVD wrote:

I live in northeastern Illinois. So if I was to put the bagger on my
lawn mower this time of year I would end up with a mix of grass
clippings and ground up leaves and twigs. I have some bare spots in a
few areas planted with small hostas and geraniums. Would it be
beneficial for me to collect the grass clippings/leaf mix and either
spread on top of or spade it into this bare areas? Usually I just set
the mower to "mulch" and just let the remnants lay where they fall,
but I thought this might be beneficial. Thanks for your advice.