Old 19-10-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] carolynmb217@yahoo.com is offline

Default No match for Dracula...

On Oct 17, 3:25 am, "Sinister" wrote:
Thanks Carolyn, you've given me and my Drac new hope. As for my Phaph, it's
already lost. Went to Florida for spring break(even made it to the AOS in
Delray Beach) When I got back I found that the person I had charged with
tending my orchid had done nothing to it in nearly nine days. I tried to
save it, but being at best a novice grower, it was too much of a challenge
or too far gone, one of those atleast...It died.

But on all other orchids, I've met with modest success, except this dracula.
I shall do as you say and arrange it for more light. BTW, you Drac looks
amazing. Do you keep it in that container and showercap for moisture. If
so, I might consider something similar but I should think it would have an
air circulation problem...

It was just watered recently and I'm afraid another leaf will die. I can
see a small new growth that is poking up and that looks a little promising
or ominous... But I will open the windows, kick on the fan and see what
happens.

Thanks again.

-dxtrwrd

Hi dxtrwrd,

You're welcome Please let us know how your drac does. Too bad for
the paph, but that happens.

For the full story of my drac and where it has been living since
March, take a look here
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...053213952.html

The aquarium was about $10 from a pet store, computer fan $5 from
Radio shack, and voltage regulator $12 from HD. It was very easy to
strip the ends of the fan wires and splice them into the end of the
voltage regulator. If you have/want to spend that money, it's a nice
easy environment for higher humidity plants.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm happy to share what seems to work for
me

Carolyn