Old 19-10-2007, 12:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Clark... Clark... is offline

Default adding soil around trees?

Clark... wrote:
Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Clark... said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Clark... said:

CathyLee wrote:
the roots of the trees are exposed
Will it hurt the trees to add 1-2 feet of soil around them so I
can mow around them?

CathyLee

Don't listen to these guys, I bury my tree's all the time!
works great with the few remaining black walnut trees I have and
it keeps down the 10" pine sticks of doom!

It shortens the trees' life, dood. That's fact. The roots go where
the oxygen, water, and nutrients, that that tree needs, are
located. If you put them (the roots) lower in the soil (even by a
few inches), you're depriving the tree of one, or even all of them.

Dude I was joking,

An emoticon, or even stating that you were joking, would have gone a
long way in conveying that. =) (Especially, considering all of
replies you referenced gave basically the same info.)

*My fault*.
I have a nasty habit of telling a joke or making up a ridiculous
story and telling it with a totaly straight face, I guess it happens
in this means of cominicay also.

cominicay??? OK I'm making up words too,
(this means of communication)
In my defense it was 6:26 am at the time, and spell check somehow missed it.
Doh!!!

Hell I told a story about a 10" pine stick once... Oh wait that
ridiculous story is true :-(

My apologies if you chuckled as you formatted your reply. I had my
speakers turned down, and didn't hear it. =P

I have not seen a reply so I assumed the OP was done with the post.

Could have been a drive-by, sure. Could have also been someone that
has other priorities ATM.

besides it's like a graveyard in here lately, someone had to post
something.

Everyone is outside, working in their yards/gardens, and enjoying the
nice change in the weather. Why aren't you? =P

Because Kathy is! :-) Hence the reason I bought the lawntractor I
did, she was out all day Sunday towing along the lawnsweeper and
mowing. (while I did important things like painting and staining and
drinking a couple of beers)
did you know it takes 4 hours to paint a door? chuckle.....

by the way I have plenty of trees with no exposed roots WTF?

Not /all/ trees expose their roots, naturally. Maples are notorious
for it. I have a Silver Maple in my front yard, that has several
roots that have broken the surface of the soil. Those roots are now
calloused, to the point of becoming bark-like. Were I to cover them
with soil, they would most likely rot, and I'd lose a beautiful tree
long before I should. It was here long before I arrived (If I had to
guess, I'd venture it was at least 50 years old), and I hope it's
here long after I'm gone. =)

If yours have no exposed roots because /you/ covered them, the tree
will not live as long as it would were they left exposed. It probably
won't die in a year, or maybe even ten years, but it will surely die
sooner than it should.

Does that eggsplain "TF" to your "W"? =)

It does explain it, what a slow way to kill a tree!!!!
My chainsaw takes them down much faster than burying the roots!!!!!
Clark...

--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?