Old 19-10-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default bamboo/grass screen?

In article . com, Dave
Poole writes
Janet, the rampant species and variants have given the entire family a
bad name, which is a great shame because there are plenty of non-
invasive bamboos that are easily accommodated where space is
limited.

Sasa species can be a nightmare

Snip ... a fascinating lot of information David! ..Snip

Similar in height (maybe just a bit taller) with a more open habit is
F. scabrida, which is reputedly one of the food plants of the giant
panda. The clusters of leaflets are carried in a somewhat layered
fashion on old well established clumps and the growth seems slightly
more open than that of F. nitida. It takes some tracking down, but if
you inadvertently come across one you can safely plant without fear of
a triffidic invasion.

HTH.

Oh how it does David! Bless you for taking the time to send this. Can I
ask if I can use it as an article in my Gardening Club Newsletter? Many
new members and new gardeners are starting out with completely different
views to traditional English gardeners, due to the warmer climes. Some
can't remember really cold winters! This seems to change their
perspective of gardening compared to us over 40 lot. (Well me over 40
lot anyway)
I wonder if this will also affect the gardening books of the future. I
am already finding that many books I valued in the 1970's are fast
becoming out of date in their choice of 'tender' plants

Thanks again

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy