Old 20-10-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Tree seat

In article ,
"Kate Morgan" writes:

| Thank you for the links Jenny, all interesting but most a tad difficult
| for me I think :-) I do however like the look of the Willow Tree seat,
| delightful and possibly easier to do than woodwork :-)

I find it a LOT easier to ignore plans for such things, and design
my own - I can then redesign around problems. But, like most
ex-mathematicians, I have very good visuospatial abilities and no
problems with simple calculations and geometry - and I also have
a fair amount of experience at such things.

However, this is how you could do it, easily.

Get some 3'x2" round, treated posts, pointed at one end. You will
need at least 8, and perhaps 12. If you can get a post protector
(like a tin can with one end out, only of fairly heavy steel), that
would help, but I have never found one. Hammer them in until they
are level and the right height (be careful, both of the ends and
the level and height), and nail the top onto them with 4" nails.

To make the top, cut 4-6 sections for a hollow circle, octagon or
hexagon and fix them together with 8-12 6" metal strip connectors
and zinc plated screws on the bottom. O-level geometry helps with
the cutting, and you may have to lie on your back to fix the last
two joints around the tree. And, of course, the position of the
posts needs to be matched to the sections, for stability.

You need something like 2" timber for the top. Treatment is not
as critical as for the posts, but untreated deal won't last long.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.