Old 20-10-2007, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Leaf drop on new holly

On 20/10/07 19:06, in article ,
"BlueFlower" wrote:

K;755203 Wrote:
BlueFlower
writes
It is planted in front of a three foot (fairly
solid) fence in a raised bed facing south west, so it gets plenty of
sun.

Getting plenty of sun isn't high up in the list of the holly's
priorities. They tend to grow in light woodland.

I'm not sure how happy they are in a raised bed on free draining soil.
--
Kay

I was out today planting some bulbs near the Blue Princess and the soil
has not dried out, even though we haven't had much rain over the last
few weeks. The membrane and bark chips seem pretty good at keeping the
moisture locked in. If anything, it's more likely the bed had too much
moisture this summer than not enough, and if the others who replied to
this post are correct, the hessian will not have helped.

As far as sunshine levels are concerned, from what I have read hollies
are OK with sunshine, but many varieties can tolerate shady conditions.

So, your holly is planted in hessian sacking, under membrane and bark
chippings (in themselves deleterious to plants as they rot down) and you are
posting via Garden Banter asking advice from urg but saying "from what I've
read". Why do I get the whiff of a wind up here?
Let us know if they live or die, please and how you brought either about.
It would be most interesting to hear the final outcome.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk