Old 19-10-2007, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Cabbage question (non heading variety)

Kia ora

I have a cabbage question someone may be able to help me with. A workmate
gave me some broccoli seed he termed "romanesco" which I duly planted. Some
the the seed produced ok, no central floret but dozens of little florets off
a number of stems.

Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There is a
central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I now
wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage seed as
well?

It is not cabbage as I know it, the tightly headed variety. I understand the
origin of cabbage was an open leaf variety dubbed Romano in various places.

Can anyone give me some direction here on what I may have? Google search has
not shown me anything. Many thanks.

Rob

ps I have given a couple of the 'cabbages' to the neighbours to try so I
will find out in due time whether they are edible or not.