Old 21-10-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default winters on its way .

We normally get a frost mid-Oct., but so far our lows are holding in the
high 30's to low 40's.

It was bitter sweet putting the ponds to bed this year, the fish were
absolutely gorgeous and the ponds ran pretty carefree. Item of interest,
the last month or so I was losing water a couple inches/day. I had an
inkling it was in the 2nd waterfall that the watercress was trying to
cover. When I went to screen the ponds in for winter, I trimmed the
watercress back and even had DH lift the big rock so I could see the flow.
I really didn't see much in the way as a problem, but cleared what little
bit I saw and did a few minor changes to the folds in the liner that are
under it.

Next day, no lost of water. So either I fixed the problem by chance, or the
screens have stopped the large flying buffalo from stopping in for a drink.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us