Old 20-10-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Cabbage question (non heading variety)

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"George.com" writes:

| Some of the 'broccoli' plants have produced no florets at all. There is

| central stem and large cabbage type leaves all the way up the stem. I

now
| wonder whether in with the broccoli seed I got some type of cabbage

seed as
| well?
|
| It is not cabbage as I know it, the tightly headed variety. I

understand the
| origin of cabbage was an open leaf variety dubbed Romano in various

places.

| Can anyone give me some direction here on what I may have? Google

search has
| not shown me anything. Many thanks.

Look up "kale", "collard greens" and so on. There are lots of such
non-heading varieties of cabbage, and it is correct that the original
ones were like that.

| ps I have given a couple of the 'cabbages' to the neighbours to try so

| will find out in due time whether they are edible or not.

Nothing like using your neighbours for dangerous experiments :-)

Yes, they are edible.

thanks Nick. I investigated Kale but couldn't find a decent explaination.
I'll have a squiz @ collards. The neighbours will be pleased they are
edible. The rest are coming out to make space for some sweet potatos as soon
as I can find homes for them.

rob