Old 21-10-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
42 42 is offline

Default winters on its way .

Our pond is at a house we have for sale near Oregon City. The realtor does
the minor maintenance between our visits. We now live in central Oregon and
I'm debating with myself the pros and cons of having a pond here. Our
winters can drop to -20°F and I'm uncertain how a pond with fish would do.
I'd like to hear from anyone that has a pond in that kind of climate as to
how they prepare their pond for the winter and what they do as far as
maintenance then the weather is sub zero.
42
"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:56:25 CST, "42" wrote:

When the temp of the water drops below 55°F, I don't feed them at all.
Next
spring they're all just fine, and I start feeding again when the water
rises
above 55°. That's about 13 Euro degrees for those of you living where
water
freezes at 0°. Anyone know how many dog degrees that would be?
42

I stop at 50, or when the screens go on, which make it difficult to feed.
Mid-October thru March sometime w/o food, and they do fine on the stuff
that grows on the sides. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us