Old 22-10-2007, 04:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Dave is offline

Default adding soil around trees?

"CathyLee" wrote in message
the roots of the trees are exposed
Will it hurt the trees to add 1-2 feet of soil around them so I can mow
around them?

CathyLee

Not sure Cathy, even after reading all the reply data to date.

Common tree I saw at my great-grandfather's home is the pecan. Not sure
which type of pecan, I was young. They were 50-60 feet high. The roots
were about halfway above the soil line. Couldn't get a lawnmower over it
while running, blade would strike the root. These were big stinker roots.
Was common in the fall to have fallen leaves well above the root upper
surface. Mostly, these roots were exposed all the time.

Common in my neck of the woods are juniper ashe. They have many surface
traveler roots. These roots usually get buried by their own fallen
leaves/needles. If very dry and windy for awhile, these roots will get
exposed again in some cases. Mostly not. A quick pass with a bow rake will
easily expose these roots.

Yet, I've seen common as most people in urban areas, trees surface roots
covered with concrete except a small area around the trunk. Perhaps even
asphalt. And, in some cases, for a tree that's been in that arena for
awhile, may be pushing the concrete away from the trunk. Its rare as such
tree gets cut down before that can happen.

But, what do we know? We're just common folk observing the real world.
Dave