Old 22-10-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default TPO Problem ??

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:03:43 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:25:50 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"postandrail" wrote
I've come to cut a tree down in my garden. I contacted the Council to
check if there is a TPO on it. They looked at the maps and said over
the phone no.

So I am now arranging it. But 1 week later I have had a letter saying
that they have slapped a TPO on the tree.

Is this right and proper, and what can I do about it.

The letter says I have 14 days to appeal, and a judgment will be made
in 6 months time ??

The tree is a Titan Cedar that is only half grown, that is very close
to a main road, and there are overhead power cables only about 6ft
away.

What can I appeal against.

What if I had cut the tree down within that 1 week, would I have been
fined £30,000 for cutting a TPO tree down.
Near here, in a wealthy area, was a copse of fully mature Oak trees all of
which had a TPO on them. A very rich Pikey bought the copse for £50,000. His
men then removed all the trees, every one.

The local Council said it wasn't worth pursuing him about the TPO's, it
would cost too much in legal fees.

In Pickering a couple of weeks ago, the owners of the power cables running above
trees lining one of the main streets wanted to cut down, rather than trim 20
trees, that were getting to near their cables. The company claimed that they had
a legal right and obligation to do it.

but have backed down.
http://www.maltonmercury.co.uk/news/...Out.3381912.jp

The moral of this story is to check for yourselves what trees in your
area have TPOs on them, it is available on line from a lot of councils.