Old 22-10-2007, 06:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] do_see@do.com is offline

Default adding soil around trees?

Clark... wrote:
Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Clark... said:

CathyLee wrote:
the roots of the trees are exposed
Will it hurt the trees to add 1-2 feet of soil around them so I can
mow around them?

CathyLee
Don't listen to these guys, I bury my tree's all the time!
works great with the few remaining black walnut trees I have and
it keeps down the 10" pine sticks of doom!

It shortens the trees' life, dood. That's fact. The roots go where the
oxygen, water, and nutrients, that that tree needs, are located. If
you put them (the roots) lower in the soil (even by a few inches),
you're depriving the tree of one, or even all of them.

OK OK I'm almost done, I just need some advice on some problems that came
up,

Allright, I exposed all the roots I could on three tree's, but now I have
all this extra dirt everywhere, huge holes in the ground, and the tree's
won't stand up anymore, the poor things just fell over after I dug up the
roots.

Two questions:
A. Can I use strong cables attached to the tree's and stake them all around
so they stop tipping over? (and what kinda cable)?
2. What should I do about all the dirt I removed? will the local dump take
it?

I don't want my tree's to die from lack of water oxygen and nutrients!!
please respond promptly as my trees are laying their sides and wilting
badly!!!!

Clark... :-p

One answer.
You've got problems dude. [;^p
Actually, if you leave them be, they will eventually stand up by
themselves. Leave a banjo in the branches and they will give you a
concert. Put a guitar in another branch and they will play deliverance
all day long. I wonder what would happen if you threw in a set of drums.
Maybe you'd get a power tree-o. Ha ha ha ha ha !
Get it? A power tree-o?????