Old 22-10-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sloe cheese? Ping Nick Maclaren & Mary Fisher

In article , Nick Maclaren says...

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:

| There was a thread a month or two ago about sloes. Nick and Mary both
| mentioned making a delicious sloe cheese. Would you mind sharing your
| recipes please?

Mabey "Jams, jellies and chutneys". Or several old cookery books.
The summary is to make a not-very-sweet jam (I would recommend half
apple and half sloe), by cooking and sieving the fruit. When it is
close to jam, put it in a shallow tray in a cool oven and dry it
out, stirring regularly. When approaching solidity, put it into
another, oiled, tray. When cool, cut it up and possibly dry it
further.

| Interesting that some of the ripe, wrinkly, sloes aren't bitter at all
| now but others turn my mouth inside-out.

Yes. I don't know why.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating