Old 22-10-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner[_2_] William Wagner[_2_] is offline

Default Derelict garden

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dicornus" wrote in message
ups.com...
I moved to a new home in Feb this year and the garden is completely
overgrown with weeds! The garden apparently has not been tended for
approx 3 years and having watched the garden over the spring and
summer there doesn't appear to be any plants worth saving except an
alstromeria!! Can anybody advise on how I should tackle the seemingly
daunting task of turning this derelict piece of land into a family
garden? Should I just resort to using a strong weedkiller although I
understand that I might not be able to then plant for some months?

No weed killer, especially if you have any thoughts of planting edibles
in
there.

Tackle it a few feet at a time, on your knees, with some good hand
tools.
You could also cover some areas with clear plastic, a week or two ahead
of
the grunt labor.

Go pick up a pitch fork to loosen the soil in large patches, will make
pulling MUCH easier..

I never thought I'd need a pitch fork until I moved recently. Picked one
up just to relocate our day lily collection but have found it a
priceless tool for redoing our neglected beds and yard.

Start pitchin' in a straight line working from the end of the bed,
backwards. It'll save some of that back breaking work, a few feet at a
time, on your knees.

How much space do you have to clean up anyway?

I think a pitch fork is for tossing hay. You want a garden fork .

Picky picky picky.

Bill who owns about five one for dancing about the garden aka Jervon's.

Look for Smith and Hawken or Bulldog tools.

http://www.google.com/search?q=smith%20hawken%20fork

Twice in the past year, friends have tried to order tools from S&H and
they've been told they were out of stock. Four years ago, when I needed to
order a spade & fork, the entire tool section of the web site was gone. I
called the company and was told "We're not carrying tools at this time".
What??? The person sounded like a moron, so I decided to call one of their
stores in a ritzy neighborhood - Manhasset, Long Island. The guy on the
phone said he had plenty of the tools I wanted. He charged me for UPS ground
shipping, but they arrived the next day, in boxes he'd built himself.

I love the tools, but since that company lost its mind and went into the
stupid overpriced garden accessory business, they can be challenging to work
with.

I hear you and agree. I sort of anticipated the loss of access to
good hand tools and bought many. Life long investment plus. Same thing
happened with a firm that made Chi Pants and another that dealt with
Japanese bedding. A major loss only if you know what was available.
Good Incense still around.

Bill Now off to playing Swedish Chef.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoXGHw4hK60

--