Old 22-10-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters[_2_] CWatters[_2_] is offline

Default TPO Problem ??

"postandrail" wrote in message
news
I've come to cut a tree down in my garden. I contacted the Council to
check if there is a TPO on it. They looked at the maps and said over
the phone no.

So I am now arranging it. But 1 week later I have had a letter saying
that they have slapped a TPO on the tree.

Is this right and proper, and what can I do about it.

Common practice I believe. Right and proper? who knows - it depends on the
tree.

The letter says I have 14 days to appeal, and a judgment will be made
in 6 months time ??

Go ask them how to appeal.

The tree is a Titan Cedar that is only half grown, that is very close
to a main road, and there are overhead power cables only about 6ft
away.

What can I appeal against.

The reasons they give for slapping a TPO on it. Ask what they are.

What if I had cut the tree down within that 1 week, would I have been
fined £30,000 for cutting a TPO tree down.

Not unless you are in a conservation area. Trees in a conservation area
generally have to be treated as if there was a TPO on every one.

You haven't actually said what reason you have for cutting down the tree?