Old 24-10-2007, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Harvesting Beet Greens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Wal-mart has had Haas Avocados this week 4 for $1.00 again...

"A study by the New Economics Foundation in London found that every £10
spent in a local food business is worth £25 for the local area, compared
with just £14 when the same amount is spent in a supermarket. That is, a
pound (or dollar peso, or rupee) spent locally generates nearly twice as
much income for the local economy."
- Eat Here, Brian Halwell

What kind of world do you want?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

No surprise...

Fast Food is much pricier than cooking your own food.

Frankly, I could not afford to live entirely off of food made by
somebody else!

Nor would it be healthy in most cases.

Om, I didn't say fast food restaurants, I said supermarkets. I doubt
that avocados are grown in Texas, so they must come from Florida or
California. If they are grown in Texas, though, you would do the
neighborhood proud by buying them. The problem is that the profits from
"Wally World" leave Texas, leaving the area that much poorer. If you buy
from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley