Old 24-10-2007, 07:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
[email protected] dtjackson@paradise.net.nz is offline

Default New Zealand Seasonal Prospects?

On Oct 18, 6:13 pm, Usenet2...@THE-
DOMAIN-IN.SIG wrote:
Well, here in NZ, we are now up to Labour Weekend. But, really,
the weather just isn't looking reliable at all.

I am in an especially windy spot, hit hard by southerlies. A few
nights ago, the wind actually had a glass bowl (of cat food)
skidding a bit on the walkway next to my garden.

I am doing average summer stuff - courgettes/zucchini, cucumbers,
capsicum/bell-peppers, and tomatoes.

But there is no way I am going to put them outside this weekend.
I waited rather late last springtime, due to the harsh winds.
And had some serious damage anyway.

Are there any other NZ gardeners with specific plans or info on
the forecast? MetService's site is a bit hard to figure out, as
far as this medium term (next few weeks.) I am in Wellington.

Thanks...

--
Earn Money With Your Web Sitehttp://www.WebSponsorZone.Net
Web Site Advertising Directory

Hi,

I'm from Dannevirke and if you didn't see the news yesterday (23rd
Oct) we had a real wind storm. My plastic glasshouse that I brought
this winter to see if I could start growing cauliflower, cabbage,
lettuce, celery, brussel sprouts, broccoli etc in, is no longer
standing. Thankfully I had moved some of my older plants out but I
did lose my new seedlings as well. So I am having to re think my
plans as well. I read today in the paper, that it is recommended
that we wait until the windy season is over before planting for
summer. So much for getting a head start on things with a glass
house.

Happy wind free gardening