Old 24-10-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Fleas... I'm a magnet.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:37:33 -0400, Ann wrote:
Kay Lancaster expounded:

http://www.pestproducts.com/archer.htm

This is the same outfit I got the info on the borate treatment. Here
is their complete flea control page

I don't like using borates for flea control for several reasons:
1) it's a pretty good respiratory irritant
2) it's toxic to most plants (the reason it works for creeping charlie
control is that charlie is a bit more sensitive than the usual cool-season
grasses)
3) there are indications that low
doses of borates decrease sperm counts in humans (and therefore probably
have some other reproductive effects in other mammals)
4) it's stable stuff... it does not biodegrade, photodegrade or change in
any way except by chemical reaction. And the products would also be toxic.

On the whole, I feel IGRs are much more palatable for flea control than
borates. And I say that as a trained biologist and botanist.

Kay