Old 24-10-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Ivy on wood trellis/fences- bad idea?

On 20 Oct, 14:26, VX wrote:
I have traditional wooden fence (planks nailed to arris rails) 3 ft high with
wooden trellis3ft high above that, all treated with Cuprinol 5-year Sprayable
wood treatment.

(snip)

Nothing absolutely nothing last for ever, and that includes wood. I
love ivies and have lots of different varieties around my house from
the large leaves ones to the small slow growing clinging ones which
are very tough when you try to remove it. I've spent 2 week end now
clearing one from our front fence, a canariensis 'Gloire de Marengo'
which doesn't 'cling' but hangs over the fence and drops on the other
side. But it's been there almost 8 years and it has served its purpose
which was to hide us from the passers by on the street. By thining it
down it will carry on another 8 years and so on. The wood underneath
is indeed protected by the leaves, but it won't last 30 years! That
I'm sure off.

There's so many kind of ivies and for different purpose. So that's
what you want to ask yourself. Check this link which is a good start
on varieties. It's a good one because it gives you colours as well -
which can make all the difference. If you are happy with what it looks
like and do to your garden, then you'll forget about the wood ....

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/publi...01/ivies_d.asp