Old 24-10-2007, 10:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Jim Jim is offline

Default adding soil around trees?

z wrote:

The city gave us for free those cheapo compost bins, just a sheet of
heavy vinyl with holes in it that wraps into a cylinder about 3 feet
across by 3 feet high, so they wouldn't have to haul the leaves away.
So, I set it up and stuck all the leaves in there last year, and
grass clippings and banana peels and so on. Anyway by now, it's pretty
composty, so I decided to empty it out now and put this year's leaves
in there. But it was pretty tough digging it out from the top with a
pitchfork, so I just unwrapped the plastic, and it all just stood
there. The tree roots had come up from the ground into the compost and
it's now just a 3X3X3 foot ball of roots with a couple of inches of
compost on top.

ROTFLMAO

sometimes like every once in awhile I feel sad and sorry
for people who have no other option than to exist within
the jurisdiction of a city.