Old 25-10-2007, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_66_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_66_] is offline

Default Broccoli :-(

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

This is exclusively spring-cropping purple ("early purple").

I have occasionally done well, but I had a lot of problems sowing
late, because the plants didn't get to a decent size before winter.
The last two years, I have sown earlier, and the damn plants have
headed in late autumn - with consequent taste, rot and caterpillar
problems. Anyway, I don't want large heads in autumn; I want small
shoots in spring.

I don't THINK that this is the variety, because I have tried three,
all of which were said to be early purple.

So, any hints?

I think this may be the weather. Our spring Cauliflowers, Broccoli and
cabbages have all started cropping in the autumn for the last two years,
indeed I pulled up our spring broccoli two days ago as it had run to seed
there being too many other things to eat. Our spring cauliflower plants
are enormous now and I don't see them lasting until April before heading.
You are not alone.

I agree, it's the weather. This year I planted them later and they are
looking more like they should. Next year I am also trying the annual variety
from Kings Seeds, never knew it existed.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments
Best Allotment Site in Plymouth