Old 25-10-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default How do I level a 2 acre field?

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:19:30 -0700, NickGrey
wrote:

I've recently moved into a house with a largish garden and am looking
to landscape a 2 acre paddock alongside.

The paddock has 1 large trench down it, around 4ft deep and 12ft wide
running about 100 yds. It make mowing and groundcare a nightmare as my
tractor feels like its going to tip if I drive along it and misses
bits if I drive across it. The rest of the field also has shallower
channels/undulations of around 1ft deep by 10ft wide, which cause
problems.

As others have suggested, that large trench may be supplying drainage
of your land or adjacent land. It would be very unwise to disturb it
until you are sure about that. An engineer's advice could save you
far more than his cost.

If it is a drainage situation, you are not necessarily stuck with it.
It could be replaced by a culvert and covered over level with the
surrounding land, solving your problem and not creating a new one.
Again an engineer can advise.

JMHO

John