Old 25-10-2007, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon_s Rhiannon_s is offline

Default OT-ish Catalogue survey!

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
On 25/10/07 13:53, in article

,
"Mogga" wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:38:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

It's our own catalogue I'm thinking of, Judith. We want to keep it

simple
to start with but as the plants we're going to sell via mail order

will only
be the more rare and unusual ones, it would be interesting to have an
overall idea of what people look for in terms of information.

Name, where it will grow well, height, spread, any particular care
pattern (eg: pruning, feeding, watering etc)

Yes. All good ideas.

If you're going to add in history of plant, where it comes from, any
folk lore uses, tnen you'd be making it more interesting. Photos are
nice of course.

Hmmmm, it would be interesting but it might make it a bit long and

literally
heavy! We're hoping to have a 'page' on the web site with all or most

of
these on it but I think we've got to think of posting it out, too.

why? we gave up the printed catalogue 6 years ago! most people who don't
like computers know someone to do it for them.

I'd say I'm quite familiar with computers (I can even remember BBS and was
online before Amazon was[1]) and when I go to a plant website the first
thing I do is see if there is a print catalogue I can order and then I order
from that. I like being able to sit up at nights with a catalogue, or take
it in to work and show collegues (and therefore pimp my fave plants I wont
have space for, but still wish I could buy), I can take a paper catalogue
over to friends houses and get their opinions too. Now granted I could do
that with a laptop, but it is a whole lote easier with a print catalogue,
plus I find it easier and more pleasant to read things in print[2] than on
screen.

[1]For some reason the Amazon benchmark seems to define the start of the
proper internet as we know and...er, know it today. To predate it online is
a mark of age. I have no idea why and am not too keen on it. I preferred
it when I was a net newbie, I was young then.

[2]I have a feeling I should be saying hardcopy instead of print, but I am
resisting that urge.
--

Rhiannon_s
There is no God but Eris, and Jay and Silent Bob are her Prophets.