Old 25-10-2007, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon_s Rhiannon_s is offline

Default OT-ish Catalogue survey!

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 25/10/07 20:33, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 25 Oct, 18:06, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Sacha contains

these
words:

Apart from Latin name and colour (if no photo) what sort of info do

people
think most important in a plant catalogue. I know it needs to be
informative but not too wordy, IMO!

Height and spread, and whether or not it's hardy would do for me.

--
AnneJ

I'd be inclined to publish a descriptive plant list with a much more
descriptive catalogue with pics etc on your web site, the lists you
can then print yourself as required rather than have a bill for
several hundred pounds from the printer.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Wonderful, David. You and Charlie have probably saved us a lot of time

and
money.
Thank you to everyone else. Please keep the ideas/wants/needs/suggestions
coming. It's genuinely helpful.

I hate to say this, but I probably wouldn't buy mail order based on that. I
mean a plant list is fair enough if you live close enough to the nursery to
have a look in person, but if I'm not able to visit then I want a catalogue
to browse at leisure before deciding. I know you say you'll have that on
website, but as I said upthread, I find reading from website rather tedious
and it cuts down on pimping plants to friends and discussing stuff with
friends too.

If you were to give me a choice between mail order company with plant price
lise accompanied by net link, and a plant catalogue with pics, a little
description I'd go with the latter everytime.

Sorry.
--

Rhiannon_s
There is no God but Eris, and Jay and Silent Bob are her Prophets.