Old 26-10-2007, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Barometric pressure query

On 25/10/07 22:40, in article
,
" wrote:

On 25 Oct, 20:50, Sacha wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that as the glass rises they sometimes, just
occasionally, get a bit of a headache. It happens to me often enough to be
aware of it but it seems more obvious in the colder months when we get a
bright starry sky and cold, sunny days. Years ago I mentioned it to a
doctor - not as a worry, just in passing - and he looked at me as if I was
barking. But I'm sure there's some sort of relationship between one and
the other.

You are not alone. It is a link that I've heard discussed over the
years, particularly in relation to migrane sufferers. It is medically
controversial. I read a study in scientific american, or some such, in
a hotel in New England one snowy day when I could not get to work,
which showed a tiny but measurable incidence. I expect it would be
difficult to reproduce.

The only obvious connection I have thought of is a sinus headache,
where the sinuses are too blocked to allow pressure to equilibrate.
But I am not a doctor, so am probably wrong.

I have terrible sinuses. You're probably right!

It's never happened to me, but then I have never been seasick either
but that doesn't stop me knowing other people can be! My headaches
appear to be associated with dehydration if they are not a symptom of
an infection.

I think most people get both of those - drink more water/coming down with a
cold, sort of headaches. But mine are too clearly observable to be
coincidence. Nothing awful - certainly not migraine, though once or twice
I've had very mild visual disturbance without any pain at all. Weird.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk