Old 26-10-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default OT-ish Catalogue survey!

On 26/10/07 12:48, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

I love Bob Brown's catalogues from Cotswold garden flowers. They are
really honest and funny. Sort of
"don't bother with this plant it never does well" or "good honest
perennial, common as muck but does well anywhere"

Derry Watkins's is a bit like that (Special Plants) It's a good idea, IMO.

So often I fall for pictures of flowers that actually only appear in 1s
or 2s and then the whole shrub looks boring. Sometimes the description
sounds absolutely enticing but I tend to forget that it's what they
leave out that's important NOT what they put in, (they are trying to
sell the stuff after all)

All the pics we will eventually use have been taken here, either in the
greenhouses or in our garden. We're quite keen to do that, so that people
see what they do in 'real life' situations.

What I do hate most is a plant described as 'rare' when it's nothing of
the sort or an infamous runner that is recommended to beginners like
vinca.

We won't be selling Vinca mail order -- too many suppliers! Though we do
have one or two unusual ones, now I come to think of it but rare, no.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk