Old 26-10-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Don H3 Don H3 is offline

Default Barometric pressure query

On 25 Oct, 12:50, Sacha wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that as the glass rises they sometimes, just
occasionally, get a bit of a headache. It happens to me often enough to be
aware of it but it seems more obvious in the colder months when we get a
bright starry sky and cold, sunny days. Years ago I mentioned it to a
doctor - not as a worry, just in passing - and he looked at me as if I was
barking. But I'm sure there's some sort of relationship between one and
the other.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Any rapid barometric change tortures me: Raising it
may give me a temporary headache, but if I get outside
into clean air I will rapidly feel MUCH better (often
even better than I did before the pressure increase).
((Nitrogen Narcosis?))

But LOWERING barometric pressure causes problems no
matter how slow the onset. Part of it is bone /
joint / tooth pain (agony) as outgassing occurs.
(Something older Airline Stewardesses are familiar
with: Some airline passengers have even had teeth
explode in rapidly ascending aircraft).

But if I am indoors, I will also have terrible
respiratory problems as every rotten or toxic
airborne contaminant ever absorbed in my apartment
(flat) assails me as it is outgassed back into the
atmosphere due to the dropping pressure.

When I was young I just called it "Sinus Headache"
(which I still get if a pressure-change is rapid,
or I have sinus congestion).

But these older bones and lungs just aren't as
flexible/tolerant anymore. Sometimes I even get
phantom pain in teeth I no longer have, because the
nerves that used to go to those teeth are pinched by
surrounding tissues during a rapid pressure-change.