Old 26-10-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John John is offline

Default 8ft Plastic Bamboo Canes

The larger B&Q sheds sell green plastic canes in various lengths from 4 foot
to 8 foot

Thank you. I've looked in B & Q a couple of times
but received negative answers.

John.

If they're what I'm thinking of the tops are blunt and rounded and the whole
thing is a bit knobbly looking? I just can't think when I last saw such
canes because I've never used them myself. Do they *have* to be the plastic
ones? Can you not use real bamboo or pea sticks from a hedge? Is there a
particular reason for your preference?

=======================================
Those of which I'm talking, look 'exactly' like bamboo.
I know the plastic sticks you mention, but they aren't
as strong as those for which I'm looking.

My use is in crossing two of these poles - the base of which
is sunk 9: into the soil - a few inches from the top, then wiring
them together. I make half a dozen of these arches and lay
others horizontally across the top in the 'V's' made by the crossed
uprights. I wire several along the uprights, also horizontally, to
brace the structure.

The "bamboos" I used were strong, and lasted over a number
of years.

Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

John.