Old 27-10-2007, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Adam is offline

Default Harvesting vegetable seeds

Hi Everyone

At this time of year, there are many plants in my vegetable patch with seeds
I could harvest. As I understand it, some plants breed true from seed, so if
I harvest seeds from those plants and sow them next year, I should end up
with something similar to what I had this year. On the other hand, some
plants don't breed true, and I'd be much better off buying new packets of
seeds for next year.

Are there any rules of thumb for which types of vegetables breed true? Or
are there any lists out there somewhere of the best plants for harvesting
seeds?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks
Adam