Old 27-10-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Harvesting vegetable seeds

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| But if all you want is a carrot does it matter if the F1 variety does not
| come true? you will still get carrots, you may even get as good a crop.

I grew four varieties of carrot this year - two 'heritage' and two
F1 hybrid. One of the heritage ones was a complete and total failure
(with two sowings), as it bolted before it formed a root. The other
was nearly as bad. The hybrid were fine, except nowhere near as fly
resistant as such varieties usually are.

Now, will the ones grown from F1 hybrid seed be nearly as good as
the parents, or will they revert to characteristics that make them
useless? Well, that will depend on many things. I agree that it is
worth experimenting with seed from even F1 hybrids, but it may well
be a complete failure.

And that assumes you haven't been Monstantoed - which SHOULDN'T be
possible in the UK yet, at least while the EU holds the fort, but I
don't trust those b*gg*rs in Whitehall not to have let such stuff
through on the QT.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.