Old 27-10-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sacha Hubbard

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Is that the Albany-new york of Clematis 'Betty Corning' fame?

Indeed yes; Erastus Corning was mayor through, I think, the late 70s. He
was a branch of the family that owned Corning Glass...old money (at least
for us; you folks have much older). The George Landis arboretum across the
valley from me has that Clematis. I keep meaning to snitch a cutting or
two, after making a suitable donation. Does that violate the "cuttings
will succeed only if stolen" rule?

Thats more or less how Betty got it! apparently found on a house front in
the mid west and taken all the way to Texas as a cutting in a potato.
Still has the best scent of any summer flowering clematis.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk