Old 28-10-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith.lea judith.lea is offline

Default Evergreen Climbers

On Oct 28, 8:17 am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article . com,
says...

On Oct 27, 4:47 pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:27:19 -0000, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 27, 3:59 pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:56:53 -0000, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 27, 3:44 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says... Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to cover
the side wall of a brick garage. The plants are to go into 2 wooden
planters which are each about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and about 2 feet in
depth, so the plants shouldn't be too invasive or vigorous. Ivy is an
obvious choice, but it might be too invasive? Is there anything else that
would do the job better?

Many thanks in advance.

Which way is it facing and where are you? it makes a big difference.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie, can I tag on here, I want a clematis, hardy, evergreen, south
east facing, the Auvergne, France, snow in December and Jan Feb and
March pretty vicious. Is there anything I could plant in these
conditions?

, RHShttp://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/hydehall/archive/hydehallpom05j...
You Darling, thank you. Now I have to see if I can find it in France
otherwise Charlie will be sending me one next Spring.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me just how hardy it is.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Martin, hopefully it is hardy, if anyone knows Charlie will.

All I can say is its all right at -9c but did not flower well for nearly
a year after, as a plant I find it very untidy and it flowers all summer
as well as November to april, but unles you get under the flowers they
are a bit shabby, best grown on an arch in my opinion so you are able to
look up into the flowers. but of course in a cold place you have no
choice but to put it onto a wall!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

I might give it a miss Charlie and take a look round the area in
January to see what, if anything, is surviving.

Judith