Old 28-10-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Evergreen Climbers

In article .com,
"judith.lea" writes:
| On Oct 27, 10:09 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| In article ,"Je ff Layman" writes:

| |
| | Good list. To those stated I would add Akebia quinata or trifoliata. They
| | would do pretty well (maybe too well!), and in most winters would be more or
| | less evergreen. If the winter was very severe they would lose their leaves
| | completely, but would probably be more likely to survive than those in the
| | list.
|
| Nah. Akebia quinata is hardy, but deciduous in all but very mild
| winters. It has more-or-less kept its leaves on the last two, but
| they have been freakishly mild. Before that, it lost its leaves
| every year. Cambridge may be colder than Bolton, but not by much.
|
| Come on Nick and Charlie, south of Clermont Ferrand at high altitude?

How high? As I said, last winter was freakishly mild, but we had one
night of -8 Celcius. 25 years ago, we fairly often got -15, and -10
was normal (often combined with days of below -3, for several nights).
The ground used to freeze 2" down most winters, at least once.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.