Old 28-10-2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
alpickrel alpickrel is offline

Default Water Temp In Greenhouse

On Oct 25, 1:04 am, "Insight News"
wrote:
I just put in a 9x12 greenhouse. Water is plumbed directly inside with a
dual carbon filtration system. I usually water with a spray wand, but it
seems like the ground water temps in January are going to be too cold to be
practical. How does everyone deal with water temps during the winter?

I am using two 55 gallon plastic barrels as a solar heat sink. I am thinking
about using one of these as my source for plant water, and would just refill
with ground water. Thoughts?

Temperature in water drawn from a well is pretty constant. It doesn't
change much with the seasonal temp variation. The water from it will
probably be within two to three degrees of the mean average air
temperature in you locality, unless your well and geography has some
pretty non-standard characteristics. Well water straight from the
pump is a cool and shocky temperature for tropcial plants even in the
summer. So your idea to hold the water in barrels until it's
temperature raises closer to the greenhouse air tempterature is a
good year-round practice.