Old 28-10-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Canadian seeks id of an English tree

In article . com,
barnsley writes:

| Looks like a rather wind-blasted oak tree, doesn't it?
|
| -++++ Sacha, Thank you for a VERY prompt reply.
| My tree knowledge is abysmal, but your suggestion does "look" right to
| me.
| It never prospered in 45 years, always an uneven silhouette and
| scraggly branches --- maybe the din and smoke of a half-century of
| stock cars have hindered it ----!

No, no, that's not it. That IS what oaks look like, unless bred for
timber. They are knobbly, ragged trees, and start getting stag-headed
(which that hadn't done yet) about a 1/3 through their lifetime. See
Oliver Rackham on that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.