Old 29-10-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Leaf wars

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:00:12 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

On a positive note the Billy Goat is completely on
top of the job and chops them up well, with the wet leaf bag 100%
functional again thanks to the new zip slider I mentioned a few
weeks back.
I love it when a cheap fix really works well.

Mike

I saw something recently that said collect them in black bin bags and
poke holes in with a fork, water and leave for 3 years.

I tried that and I got a black mucky smelly mess in black bags.

What does work is the leaf vacuum which cuts them up finely, then just
dump them in a pile somewhere in the corner of the garden out of the wind,
and use as necessary.

It doesn't do a good job in the wet though, best to get them daily while
they're still dry and easy to "hoover" [1] up. Soul-destroying job on
Saturday, when I looked again on Sunday there were more on the road,
pavement, lawn etc than there were when I started :-)

[1] With apologies to Dyson.

That's the good thing about the Billy Goat. It sucks up everything wet or
dry, chops it up, and loads it into the bag. I find that when done wet the
leaves compact down more and compost better. It is better still if you have
a "wet leaf" bag for the machine, as the normal bag is not nice to handle
after its been filled with wet leaves.

Mike