Old 04-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Frogleg

Default Court/HOA pounds lady over Wildscape

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 17:02:11 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 05:31:03 -0500, Ann wrote:

While it wouldn't bother me a bit to have her as my next door
neighbor, this is a prime example of why I would *never* live on
property that is governed by an HOA. No way I'd pay money to have
some busy-bodied group tell me how I could use my property.

Yeah, but she did move into a HOA development, which can and does enforce the
deed restrictions. She signed this when she bought the house. Nobody tells me
what to plant or not, but out of respect of neighbors who have their tidy boring
front yards, I somehow manage to comply. You should know that my compliance IS
my defiance.

Ahh. I was wondering of anyone else would bring this up. There's a lot
of "this is *my* property, and I can do anything I like with it"
sentiment. With which I sympathize, to a certain extent. However, I
hate lawns and have a 'respectable' front lawn. I live in a suburban
area where 'property values' and consequent economic interests can be
affected by an openly rebellious spirit. I chose to live here, instead
of on 10 acres in the country. I have to go along with the rules (city
regs) and general feelings about what's appropriate.

One note about the original story: similar ones appear regularly in
the local media, and I seldom see any hint that neighbors offered to
help bring the property into compliance. It's easier to report a
violation than to speak to the violator and perhaps work out a
mutually agreeable deal. Or even generously offer labor to clear the
offensive materials(!)