Old 30-10-2007, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default I.F. Stone [was: Good News for Small Farms]

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:41:14 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

As B. F. Stone said, "Governments lie. All governments lie".

Yes , yes, I. F. Stone.

Enthusiastic recommendation:

The late I.F. Stone's "All Governments Lie" is a most marvelous trip
through U.S. history, told via the story of Izzy Stone's life. A book
to revel in; read through once; then delve into again and again.

For info about Izzy Stone, including his magisterial "The Trial of
Socrates", Ask/Google his name; many links.

"The Trial of Socrates" is especially noteworthy, since we have
all been brought up with a basically positive image of Socrates
as one whose probing questions caused his young followers to
think. I.F. Stone taught himself Greek, well along in life, in order
to go back into original materials. He presents us with
a quite different picture of Socrates than we always had.

Persephone
[...]