Old 30-10-2007, 10:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Water Pipe

On 29 Oct 2007 21:42:03 GMT, Kay Lancaster wrote:

I have a cold water pipe running undermy conservatory and running
outside of my conservatory wall. now that the winter is coming i am
concerned that it will freez and split. Its a copper pipe with no
insulation at the moment.

I'd probably pull in PEX and be much less worried about freeze-fracturing.
http://www.ppfahome.org/pex/faqpex.html

Otherwise, you can wrap all exposed pipe with heat tape and hope, or cut
off
water to that pipe and drain it (don't leave water in the pipe over
winter)

This is an area I know nothing about personally (So Calif coastal; no
freeze), but I have read that people in freeze areas sometimes leave
water trickling through the pipes.

I guess this would not be PC these days, esp. in areas where water is
not abundant.

???? Inquiring minds...

Persephone

A medium speed drip rate run at night is okay if you live in a warm climate
that may have a few intermittent "hard" freezes in the winter. Turn it off
a day or two later when that "hard" freeze is done. If its too cold, the
drip will eventually ice up. So, not a viable solution in colder areas.
Also, it requires monitoring the outside air temperature, and weather
forecasts.

When the overnight temp is leaning toward the lower 20s or below, I
generally drip my well piping and external fixtures for garden hose. One
faucet did freeze up last winter as I was too timid on the drip rate.

--
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement