Old 30-10-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Palest yellow acacia

On 30/10/07 09:04, in article ,
"echinosum" wrote:

Sacha;757038 Wrote:
We have planted an Acacia expecting it to be the usual A. dealbata but
it produced flowers in mid-summer. They are exactly like the normal
mimosa flowers but they're the palest possible yellow and the leaves
are like A. dealbata. Anyone any ideas about the proper name of an
Acacia that flowers in mid-summer and is very, very pale yellow - so
much so that from a short distance they're almost white. It also beat
the world record for growth - it was almost a question of 'plant and
stand well back'!

A. melanoxylon perhaps. Fast growing with pale flowers. Supposed to
flower late winter to late spring, but maybe it was set back by the
late spring cold spell this year. If it is melanoxylon, then you should
be able to spot a difference in the foliage: dealbata has only juvenile
acacia foliage (what we think of as typical mimosa foliage), whereas
melanoxylon has both juvenile and adult acacia foliage, ie, larger
lance shaped leaves as well. A. melanoxylon is a common stowaway on
other australian plants, eg tree ferns. Pic:
http://tinyurl.com/2do3vw

We had one of those stowaways but unfortunately we had to pull it out of the
tree fern's trunk and it wouldn't root. The one I'm trying to ID has the
same form as A. dealbata but the leaves are a real green, not at all grey
and they're bigger. It also has seed pods. It appears to be forming flower
buds now on longish stems, too. I'm afraid this is not a brilliant pic
because it's a bit windy here today!
http://i23.tinypic.com/30rw9b8.jpg

--
Sacha