Old 30-10-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Greenhouses v. Polytunnels

On 30 Oct, 13:41, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

Given the choice I'd go for a greenhouse every time - more versatile,
easier to control temperature and humidity and better in the wind.
However depending where you're going in Scotland, either option will
need to be strong unless it's a sheltered site.
Now if you can manage both and it's veg you're growing then a smallish
glasshouse and a big polytunnel would suit nicely.
For some years I managed some polytunnels commercially for propagation
and early stage growing of hardy shrubs and trees in containers. This
was reasonably successful but we did have problems controlling the
temperatures and humidity except in the mist units. A lot of early veg
and salads would be OK in tunnels but you need to watch diseases and
pests and it may get too hot to be useful in mid-summer. If you go for
glass, get all the optional additional vents the maker will allow -
compare the area of ventilation on home glasshouses with that seen on
big commercial houses and you'll see why their plants are more
comfortable than ours. You feel the difference when you enter a
commercial house.