Old 31-10-2007, 10:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Lawn question

SteveB said:

[...]

I have since removed all Rain Bird Maxi Paw sprinklers. I have sprayed with
Roundup, and got the big concentrate bottle so I can spray more during this
winter. At the end, I will burn it again, and have my BIL come in with his
tractor rototiller to turn it over so I can rake out the roots. Maybe some
of the eight billion cockleburs will bury in the soil and not germinate due
to the Roundup.

Is this the logical approach?

No. Glyphosate kills by contact *only*. It has no residual herbicidal
properties, or pre-emergent properties, whatsoever.

And, churning up the ground with a tiller will probably just bring more
seeds to the surface, where they can germinate. "Cockleburr" is a common
name, usually describing Xanthium spinosum L. It's an annual, so 'raking
out the roots' would be a waste of time.

[rest snipped]

--

Eggs

-A man walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under his arm and says: "A
beer please, and one for the road."