Old 31-10-2007, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] richardhillery@btinternet.com is offline

Default Greenhouses v. Polytunnels

On 30 Oct, 13:41, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I have just come in from my greenhouse muttering about the fact that
greenhouses like workshops, are never big enough :-) As we are planning to
move to Scotland my husband suggests that I go for a polytunnel. I am
beginning to warm to the idea but would appreciate some opinions from the
group :-)

kate

Polytunnels are cheaper but they have a much more finite life. The
suns rays break down the cover, these will need replacing every 5
years or so. The standard polytunnels come right to the floor making
air flow and tempreture control difficult, If you decide to get one of
these then removeable ends (or at least big doors) and fans to
circulate the air are essential in hot periods. There are some
available with vents right along the sides that can be opened and
closed.You need to choose the design that fits your needs. try
www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk to give you an idea of whats available.
Glass always looks better and feels nice when you are inside. I always
feel like i'm inside a giant Sainsburys bag when in a poly tunnel. But
the plants don't seem to mind. If sustainability is an issue then it
has to be glass. As far as i'm aware poly tunnels can't be recycled. I
hope this is some help.