Old 31-10-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

In article ,
Gary Woods writes:
| Sacha wrote:
|
| As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
| trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back!
|
| And the green-eyed monster rears his head again!
| Just lovely.

It is rather nice, and is something that you are quite happy to brush
against as you walk past. Not all trailers are like that ....

| At my location, NO rosemary is winter hardy. I started a few from cuttings
| to winter and cook with indoors. I remember down in Virginia seeing a
| large rosemary plant in a sheltered spot in front of a book ship, which the
| owner said had been there for a number of years.

That was true even for me before the last decade or so. My garden is
a wind trap, and the combination of -10 to -15 and a steady wind is
too much for such things. But, recently, no problem - though I couldn't
grow that.

My current rosemary and thyme problems are root rot. The soil may
be free-draining, but that doesn't help if the wet doesn't let up,
and is combined with occasional moderate frosts (-5 or more).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.