Old 31-10-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
J. Davidson J. Davidson is offline

Default I never saw a rose with leaves like that before

that rose is a Hibiscus.
Jackie
Charles wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:28:16 -0500, HettieŽ
wrote:

Jim wrote:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and
told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it
once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.

I decided to play along thinking there would be some great
future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a
dead looking stick.

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t...rate-Rose.html

well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy
taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how
if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get
a Confederate Rose bush.

been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into
the yards of friends.

That "rose" has palmate leaves which I have never seen on a rose before.
Usually they are compound. The blooms and buds sure look like roses.

Does anyone know its botanical name or another common name for it? I
doubt it would be cold hardy in my zone. I would like to see if there
is anything like it on helpmefind.com.

The only other rose I saw with very unusual leaves was what some thought
might be an alba; instead of the usual five of 7 leaflets on one stem,
it had several more pairs than that.

I have just learned that roses may root from "sticks" if you put them in
the ground when they are dormant. So when you say "stick", I assume
that there are no leaves and that it was dormant when you put it in the
ground. It must root easily; sometimes it helps to use rooting powder,
but I guess them thar Confederate roses root like Forsythia.

Not really a rose, read more he
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/714/