Old 31-10-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| .
| My current rosemary and thyme problems are root rot. The soil may
| be free-draining, but that doesn't help if the wet doesn't let up,
| and is combined with occasional moderate frosts (-5 or more).
|
| Try growing it in a biggish pot (with decent holes in the bottom) of free
| draining (John Innes + gravel) and let it root through the pot into the
| ground.

That's one technique, and is fine for warm, wet winters. Mine is to
layer them regularly, and to regard them as short-lived. That works
better in cold winters.

I find that they die only when getting established, and when they get
old, and layering resolves the latter problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.