Old 31-10-2007, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default 'Salcombe rosemary'

On 31/10/07 17:05, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 31/10/07 16:30, in article
, "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 31, 12:35 pm, Sacha wrote:
This is the (somewhat contentious) rosemary I was trying to ID some time
ago. Having had some computer problems sorted, I've found the pic of
it.
I've checked with several gardeners and with a few nurseries and it's
only
ever known as the 'Salcombe rosemary' round here.
As you see, using my car as a scale, it's immensely long and was also
trailing across the tarmac of the drive and has to be cut back! It's
very
tender and seems to survive only in the mildest sea side gardens round
here.
I've emailed a pic to Olivier Filippi both to see if he can ID it and if
he'd like some cuttings!
http://i1.tinypic.com/6c6mufk.jpg

Sacha, it is huge, would it survive here do you think?

Not a prayer, Judith. It doesn't survive with us and we rarely get frost
below -5C. All you could try is having it in a pot on top of a high wall
and then bring it in for the winter. Might become a bit of a heavy chore
as
it grows, though!
I've heard back from Olivier Filippi who doesn't know which it is but very
much wants some cuttings!

Do you think it's just the cold or a combination of cold and wet which is
why most Mediterranean plants can't cope with our winters.
I've seen plants around where a friend lives in SW France that won't do here
but their winters go much lower than here but are dry.

Our guess is the wet has an awful lot to do with it here. Some things just
don't like having wet *and* cold feet for months on end. But in this case,
because we can grow other rosemaries, I'd imagine the cold and the frosts we
do get, must put the kybosh on some things.

I don't think cold summers (relative I know!) help as the plants do not
ripen wood properly letting rots in.

Yes, I think you're correct - in fact I'm sure you are. I know that
recently I wanted to send something to someone in Gateshead as a 'thank you'
present. Ray told me not to do it until next spring because of just what
you say.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk