Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default Garden tools. A bit of research

Christiansouth wrote:
Hi guys. Im new here. Im looking for a bit of help. I am a researcher at
the University of Glamorgan in Wales. There is a bit of an important
project in development concerning garden tools. Dont spose any of you
people are interested in helping by just posting you opinions on some
of the following issues?:

What garden tools do you feel are badly designed?

Are there any particular tool you are unable to use properly due to a
health complaint of any kind? (e.g, bad back, athritis)

Are there any tasks that are difficult to carry out due to lack of
specialized equipment for said tasks?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will be sticking round
these forums for a while, so dont be shy to post.
Cheers for your time guys.

I am in my 60's, and they are are all just plain hard work, even a
regular-sized rake. I bought a little Mantis tiller with the Honda
engine, and can barely handle it in till mode, but it helps mix soil
better, useless for breaking sod, but comes in handy depending on what I
need to do.

I could use an easier post hole digger; they don't make one that I could
work with, don't have one of those but need one for a pending chore. I
also need something to break up cement and can't handle the kind of
sledgehammer you need.

I should have bought to at least try, didn't want to spend the extra
$$$, the dandelion & other weeder with the crooked handle someone
recommended here. I bought a straight one, and it is somewhat of a
struggle even though you don't have to bend over to use it.

I could also use a better bulb planter, saw an expensive one on the web.
I have two, one doesn't work worth a darn, and the second one should
be sharper on the bottom and the design (a crosspiece for stability just
above the top of the cylinder) makes it hard to dump the dirt out, but
at least it works sometimes if the soil is tilled and moist; if not,
forget it. I have a drill and augur, and that causes problems, too, but
sometimes speeds things up.

Shovels, rakes, the usual, they are work, but I can manage them the way
they are designed, would be better if I knew how to sharpen a shovel,
try to keep them clean, and no matter what tool it is, my back is weak,
and I have to pace myself. Power everything would be better for me but
those can be dangerous.

Probably not what your were expecting in the way of feedback. I used to
post under another name here.

I have about every tool you can own, don't have a hoe, don't seem to
need one, and they are all work because unless you have perfect soil and
not have to fight weeds, sod, rocks, buried debris, roots, and other
obstructions, all tools are work, and I have no idea how they can be
improved.

Christian